Jul 252012
 

I’m currently using my mom’s old Singer Athena 2000.  The woman barely used it.  She doesn’t even sew.  Iffing she did, I ain’t never seent her.  Rumor has it, she made one outfit with the Singer.  Which my dad called her $1000 outfit.  (The cost of the machine in 1978-ish)

 

I’ve had it serviced, repaired.. But with every project, something goes wrong, then back to the repairman.  I’m never 100% sure if it’s the machine or me.  And so, I don’t think I sew as much as I would like, due to the potential barrage of swear words that might echo through my home when my machine refuses to catch a stitch.

I really really like the machine. I think. Maybe.  Perhaps I like the fact that I didn’t pay for it (or have I?)  and it was my mother’s. Though, you know, never having memories of dear ol Mom sewing my Christmas pageant costumes or altering her old prom dress to fit me, I can’t for the life of me figure out my I’m being so nostalgic.

But Mama, (me not my mother) wants a new one, and she wants a Bernina . Real bad like.

Off to waste countless hours to find which Bernina would do me good.

Because I kind of worship Gertie’s New Blog for Better Sewing from afar, I was all about the Bernina 1008.  I even found a few on the ebay.  One went for about $300.  But I’m a bit weary about buying used on ebay.

So I decided to (make my husband) go (with me)  to a Bernina dealer.  There use to be one 10 minutes from my house, but they moved 30 minutes away. Boo.

Lynn was awesome.  I let her know that I didn’t need a lot of fancy fancy.  She showed me two:  the B215, ($749)  which I took for a test drive. MAN that thing purred.  (My Singer works hard and sounds slightly apologetic)  and the B330 ($949)

I’m leaning towards the 330.  I will have to save BIG TIME.

Jul 232012
 

Why couldn’t a Singer dressform (usually on sale for $99 every two weeks) be enough for me? Noooooooo. I had to have one  that was exactly my shape.

 

I did a LOT of research. (SURPRISE) and when the dust settled, I decided on the My Twin Dressform   Basically, you make a plaster cast of yourself and fill it with two parts polyurethane foam.  I opted to buy only the instruction booklet and buy the supplies elsewhere.

I enlisted my husband, bless him, to be the official body wrapper.  I can be high maintenance and bossy as all get out. and he has a tendency of not paying attention.  So, unless your relationship is solid and your love is deep, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS. Hahah I am pretty  sure there are many a craft related  break-up.

 

Attempt #1:  Clusterf*ck :  DO NOT use plaster bandages from craft stores. NO NO NO NO.  When I was cut out of it, I could tell it was weak.  Plus there were holes.  I knew I had to be bandaged again.  I also took the advice of wearing heels while being wrapped.  I tend  to wear high-ish heels in life.  Standing still in heels made me mean, real mean.  Which lead to the second attempt.

Plaster wrapWeak

 

 

 

 

 

 

Attempt #2: Close but no cigar:  I decided to make a duct tape form then wrap that in plaster.  That way I could take my time and make a good cast and not worry about standing still.  I also used medical grade plaster.  The cast came out pretty good, BUT it was about 2 inches too big all around. Boo.

Duct tape prepDuct tape wrapPlaster duct prepDuct plaster

 

 

Results

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Attempt# 3:  I Think this is it:  I happened upon a recent youtube video on someone making a plaster dressform. Holla.  It was so inspiring !

 

 

So instead of wrapping myself in plastic, I opted to slather Vaseline on my body and apply the bandages directly.  I also, as they did in the video, did the front and the back without actually connecting. (Sorry, no pictures of the foaming process.  I had my hands full)

 

HalvessealedInside

SandedStandBootleg standCovered

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(The photo of the completed project was taken at an angle, so it’s not as crooked as it seems)

I’m very happy with it.  It’s not perfect. I was not completely straight.  But, for the most part I consider it a success.

 

Here is a rundown of my FINAL supplies.

Cast:

Vaseline (If you are not wrapping yourself in a bag from the cleaners)

Medical grade plaster bandages. OCL bought from ebay    (15 roles was more than enough for me. I’m 5’1 110lbs)

Mold release agent  Green Tincture Soap  Amazon.com

Tarp or garbage bags.

A  very patient wrap buddy

 

Mold

Polyurethane 3 lb. Rigid Foam, 2 Qt, Set bought from Douglas and Sturgess

 

Stand

Plywood

1 PVC connector

3 t-shaped PVC connectors

24 inches PVC pipe (for base)

4  8 1/2 inch PVC

2  6 1/2 inc PVC

 

Cover

Jersey knit (for me: 12 inch wide sewed into a tube with drawstring casing on bottom, then fitted to form)

1/8 inch ribbon

flat head pins.

 

Websites that helped A LOT

Stand 

http://sartorialdiy.com/post/5605391884/diy-dress-form-get-wrapped-in-plaster-2-10

hell, just google 🙂

But I do advise getting the Instruction Booklet from My Twin

 

WHEW!!!  On to the next project.  I’m still going to make all my DragonCon costumes, even though I’m no longer going.  I also want to start making retro inspired dresses. *Happy Dance*

 

 

 

DragonCon a no go

 Posted by on July 23, 2012  Dragoncon  No Responses »
Jul 232012
 

Alas, I will not be going to DragonCon 2012.  I was cast in RUINED at Gablestage in Coral Gables, Florida and unless I can teleport myself  immediately after rehearsals, I cannot make it.

 

 

We will meet again, one day.  Le sigh.