Jul 232012
 

Why couldn’t a Singer dressform (usually on sale for $99 every two weeks) be enough for me? Noooooooo. I had to have one  that was exactly my shape.

 

I did a LOT of research. (SURPRISE) and when the dust settled, I decided on the My Twin Dressform   Basically, you make a plaster cast of yourself and fill it with two parts polyurethane foam.  I opted to buy only the instruction booklet and buy the supplies elsewhere.

I enlisted my husband, bless him, to be the official body wrapper.  I can be high maintenance and bossy as all get out. and he has a tendency of not paying attention.  So, unless your relationship is solid and your love is deep, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS. Hahah I am pretty  sure there are many a craft related  break-up.

 

Attempt #1:  Clusterf*ck :  DO NOT use plaster bandages from craft stores. NO NO NO NO.  When I was cut out of it, I could tell it was weak.  Plus there were holes.  I knew I had to be bandaged again.  I also took the advice of wearing heels while being wrapped.  I tend  to wear high-ish heels in life.  Standing still in heels made me mean, real mean.  Which lead to the second attempt.

Plaster wrapWeak

 

 

 

 

 

 

Attempt #2: Close but no cigar:  I decided to make a duct tape form then wrap that in plaster.  That way I could take my time and make a good cast and not worry about standing still.  I also used medical grade plaster.  The cast came out pretty good, BUT it was about 2 inches too big all around. Boo.

Duct tape prepDuct tape wrapPlaster duct prepDuct plaster

 

 

Results

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Attempt# 3:  I Think this is it:  I happened upon a recent youtube video on someone making a plaster dressform. Holla.  It was so inspiring !

 

 

So instead of wrapping myself in plastic, I opted to slather Vaseline on my body and apply the bandages directly.  I also, as they did in the video, did the front and the back without actually connecting. (Sorry, no pictures of the foaming process.  I had my hands full)

 

HalvessealedInside

SandedStandBootleg standCovered

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(The photo of the completed project was taken at an angle, so it’s not as crooked as it seems)

I’m very happy with it.  It’s not perfect. I was not completely straight.  But, for the most part I consider it a success.

 

Here is a rundown of my FINAL supplies.

Cast:

Vaseline (If you are not wrapping yourself in a bag from the cleaners)

Medical grade plaster bandages. OCL bought from ebay    (15 roles was more than enough for me. I’m 5’1 110lbs)

Mold release agent  Green Tincture Soap  Amazon.com

Tarp or garbage bags.

A  very patient wrap buddy

 

Mold

Polyurethane 3 lb. Rigid Foam, 2 Qt, Set bought from Douglas and Sturgess

 

Stand

Plywood

1 PVC connector

3 t-shaped PVC connectors

24 inches PVC pipe (for base)

4  8 1/2 inch PVC

2  6 1/2 inc PVC

 

Cover

Jersey knit (for me: 12 inch wide sewed into a tube with drawstring casing on bottom, then fitted to form)

1/8 inch ribbon

flat head pins.

 

Websites that helped A LOT

Stand 

http://sartorialdiy.com/post/5605391884/diy-dress-form-get-wrapped-in-plaster-2-10

hell, just google 🙂

But I do advise getting the Instruction Booklet from My Twin

 

WHEW!!!  On to the next project.  I’m still going to make all my DragonCon costumes, even though I’m no longer going.  I also want to start making retro inspired dresses. *Happy Dance*